Sunday, January 11, 2009

Menu Planning

So in an effort to not go to the store every day, I have decided to make a dinner menu. This week went really well. I love the website www.mealsmatter.org. I found the BEST gyro recipe!!! So Dan made them on Wednesday and we had a wonderful dinner even though Dan couldn't taste them. They tasted similar to Olga's. My brother Greg has mastered their pita recipe. I will have to get it and try. But here is the recipe for the gyros. It is so simple, and good enjoy!

Ground Beef Gyros

3/4 lb. Extra lean ground beef, cooked and drained
3/4 c. Plain low fat yogurt
1/4 c. Cucumber, finley chopped- we love to use English/Hot House Cucumbers
1/2 tsp. Dill Weed
1 TBSP Oil
1 Medium onion, sliced into rings
1 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder (Dan used fresh garlic)
1/4 tsp. Dried oregano, crushed
6 Pita bread, warmed
1 small tomato, chopped

Combine yogurt, cucumber and dill weed. Cover and refrigerate. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 minutes. Add onions, cook for 2 mintues, stirring occasionally. Add beef, garlic and oregano; cook 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Stuff beef mixture in warmed pita breads and serve with yogurt sauce and tomatoes.

YUMMY!!!

4 comments:

alecia said...

that does sound good! I will try it out :)

PS Ruthie and I passed Abby in the hall today. I overheard her say to her nursery leader, "that's my baby brother." Too funny.

Snorkelgirl said...

This sounds so great! I love gyro's and pretty much all Greek food. Thanks for sharing.Do you have any Korean recipes? Korean is my all time favorite.

Bobette said...

Liz,
Hey there! Thanks for your nice comment. I am SO sorry you got released also! It is really hard isn't it? Every time I think about Young Womens or am reminded of Young Womens I get teary eyed! I was hoping you had some great advice. I am still in shock. Just know that there is something else out there that the Lord needs you to do! Let me know! Good luck! Good to hear from you! Can I put your blog on my blog list? :)

Donette said...

This recipe sounds great! We'll be trying it this week.
Thanks, Liz!